Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Sunday 8 January 2012

What constitutes a joke?

So... I can't sleep! Doesn't happen often cos luckily I have good sleep genes but tonight is one of those where I am not able to switch off and fall into lala land. Probably cos I had a thoroughly lazy day involving watching tv, reading and eating... My body is like, nope you haven't actually done enough today to qualify for sleep!

So blogging it is...

This holiday, which is sadly drawing to an end, we (Philippe and I) watched Trevor Noah's latest dvd- crazy normal! It is really, really, really funny. Invest In some SA home grown comedy and go out and get it. Definitely worth it!

Got me thinking... Trevor Noah really has the best genetics for being a SA comedian. A black mom, white dad and he is according to SA's highly sophisticated classification system coloured... Meaning he can just about rip off any racial group in SA without offense cos he is part of all of them!

Which made me think some more... When is a joke funny and when is it offensive? I love comedians who make us less self conscious about ourselves and give us those light bulb moments of- that is exactly what I as a white/ black/ coloured person do. I think that's a great comedian, like Trevor Noah.
I guess the other reason Trevor Noah is so great is that he is a SA, talking SA, ripping us off. It's much more palatable when it is an insider doing it... And that brings me back to his great comedian genetics... Would he be as funny and permissible if he were a white Afrikaner from Boksburg?

No comments:

Post a Comment