Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Thursday 24 May 2012

Crying Racism or crying wolf

This furore over the "spear of the nation/ JZ" picture has really got people stirred up, hasn't it? What I find most interesting is that people are calling the picture racist... I don't really agree... I couldn't disagree if they said offensive, disrespectful, inflammatory... But racist? Racist implies that one race is put above another or one race group is put down based solely on race... I think , we as south Africans need to stop crying racism whenever anything happens that we don't agree with. I am whole heartedly opposed to racism but I think crying racism too much is like crying wolf... People stop taking you seriously! And I won't even begin to comment on what I think about the painting... That's a whole nothing story for a whole other day...

No comments:

Post a Comment