Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Wednesday 15 January 2014


I am a very privileged mother of three beautiful children. So when it comes to birth stories, I can surely join in the conversation. My first two children, Ruben and Adam were both born in Ireland. On both occasions it was a natural delivery without any complications, other than me thinking that I’m going to die, especially with the first delivery, for with the second you know that you are going to make it J.  However the story I want to share is the delivery of my third baby.

We were positive that we were not going to have any more children after having our two boys. I felt like a ‘boy mommy’ and we were very content. However, God had other plans for us. Finding out that we were expecting a third baby came as a shock. We couldn’t even talk about it to each other or anybody else for the first three months, but gradually got use to the idea. The first three months of my pregnancy was a stressful time with me trying to finish of my Master’s degree, moving house etc. I was so unsure about having another baby and had so many worries, being an ‘older mom’ now. I kept
praying for God’s will to be done.

Like all my previous pregnancies, everything went very well. I did not even experience any nausea. However, at 34 weeks I experienced severe contractions and was placed on bed rest for a week. This was a huge turning point for me. The possibility of almost losing my baby made me realized how much I wanted it.
At 38 weeks into gustation my water broke during the night. Seeing that I had an appointment with my doctor the next morning, I decided to wait for the contractions to start, but it did not. I went to my doctor’s appointment at 9:30am with my husband and hospital bags for in-case. My doctor was visibly upset with me for not going to the hospital as my water broke during the night. He informed me that I must proceed to the delivery room for an induced labour. After about 6 hours things was not progressing well. At 4:00pm the doctor broke my water again, for the original tear was sealed by the downward pressure of my baby’s head.

Everything kicked into action then. I had very little time between contractions and made use of entonox gas for pain relieve while rocking on a birthing ball. My husband was with me from 4:00pm onwards, after making arrangements for our boys for the evening. He was very calm and relaxed, having been through this with me two times before. My doctor came to see me at 6:00pm. He established that I was 4cm dilated and predicted that my baby will be delivered at 10:00pm.

I was feeling desperate at this news and couldn’t fathom being in such pain for another 4 hours. I informed my doctor that I went from 2-10cm in an hour during the delivery of my first baby and that was without being induced. I suggested that my baby’s arrival might be much sooner and commented that I couldn’t possibly ‘hang in there’ until 10:00pm as predicted. The doctor said that we’ll see and advised me to start walking to help things along, something I couldn’t contemplate at the time. The doctor left for home, saying he will be back at around 10:00pm.

At this point I seriously considered having an epidural. I told my husband that I’m just not strong enough to do this again like the previous two times, without an epidural. He called the midwife so I could discuss this with her. Once I enquired about the pros and cons of this procedure, I decided against it once more. Feeling rather desperate and a bit unable to think straight (effect of the gas), I decided to walk a bit. I felt an urge to go to the bathroom. I sat down on the toilet to rest and then the urgency to push took hold of me. As I started to push I called for the midwife, announcing that my baby is coming.  Out of habit I locked the door as I entered the bathroom. Hearing her at the door I got up to unlock and at that moment my baby started to drop downwards.

I have difficulty recalling the exact progression of events after this. I just remembered seeing the midwife sitting on the floor next to me holding my grey/blue baby. I kept looking at my baby’s little face, seeing how she is struggling to remain conscious, passing out a couple of times. I kept asking if my baby is okay and was reassured by the midwife. This all happened during a change of shift, so there were two midwifes present to assist with the baby, clamping and cutting the cord etc. I thank God for his perfect timing.

My baby was taken out of the room while I delivered the placenta. When I emerged from the bathroom, my husband was holding our baby, all wrapped up in blankets. He assured me that our baby was okay. Everything happened so fast with no big announcements at the end (it’s a boy/girl!). Although we had an idea about the baby’s gender from viewing the scans, it was not confirmed/real. We quickly opened the blankets to take a peak. Our little baby girl had arrived at 6:35pm! We named her Isobella, meaning consecrated to God/God’s promise. She was checked out by the pediatrician and scored a 9/10 Apgar. Thank God for this miracle and for his divine protection. She was placed on my chest and started feeding right away like a little trooper. Afterwards she spend a couple of hours in an incubator to warm up.
 
I’m not sure when the doctor arrived, but I got the all clear from a flustered, rather embarrassed doc. J

We thank God ever since for our little miracle and for his divine intervention. May we be the best parents to her and our boys with God’s guidance.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment