Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Nicki's birth story

Continuing with birth storys... Here is Nicki's birth story. Nicki is a physio who works at Wits University. I met Nicki through a moms group we both attended. Her daughter Morgan has already shared a kiss with Luc (Watch this space!)
 
For me my daughter's birth could not have gone better. She came at 39 weeks, and in quite a hurry! From when my waters broke to the time I had her in my arms was less than 7 hours, with actual painful labour only lasting about 3 hours. This may sound long to non-moms but in labour terms it was very quick... especially since one loses all sense of time in labour land :)
 
For the pregnancy I was under a midwife at Genesis and I found this to be a great experience... midwifery is probably one of the most underrated professions ever! Phindi, the midwife, was fantastic. I could phone her at any time with any of my pregnancy questions and when the show got on the road she was amazing. Thanks to her I was convinced that I could a) have natural birth, b) do it without an epidural. After I returned home with Morgan, she came and did a home visit which was also invaluable!
 
Although there were times during the labour that I felt that I couldn't go on, I felt that i was able to persevere because of the rapidity of the labour progression. It gave me hope knowing that it was soon going to be over :) Looking back I wonder if I would have been able to hold out on the epidural if the labour took longer...
 
 


I am very grateful for the experience of natural child birth and that I had the ability and opportunity to breastfeed up until 8 months. I feel that it is something that I have accomplished in my life and that has given me an extra girl guide badge :)
 
 
 
 
HOWEVER, having said that, I also feel that there is such pressure on mom's nowadays to have natural and to breastfeed that when the need for a Caesar or formula arises it throws the moms into a state of failure. This, combined with the cocktail of post-pregnancy hormones, can be quite disastrous and often takes moms one step closer to PND. 
 
 
 
 
 
When chatting with expectant friend's I am mindful that although I am in favour of the birth experience that I had, I explain that it cannot be everyone's reality and that at the end of the day so long as one has a healthy baba in one's arms then all is well!
 
 
Although I griped and complained along the way (and still do), I loved every minute of pregnancy, birth, newborn and onwards. Now as I begin to learn about the challenges and joys of being a mom to a toddler I look forward to (God willing) expanding my family and going through the journey again...

No comments:

Post a Comment