Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Monday 17 February 2014

Labels

A few weeks ago I was cashing up at mainly music (Amazing music thing my church runs. It is loud, busy, hectic but also very special and fun and Luc and I love it. If you interested have a look at the  website).


One of the little girls (she is about 4) was chatting to me while I cashed up when a friend of hers came running up and said that her teacher was looking for her. I could see she didn't know what her friend meant and said to her she means Veronica (her nanny) is looking for her.
This little girl then said to her friend... Veronica isn't my teacher... she is my... she is my... Veronica.


I have been thinking about this encounter a lot.
These 2 little girls (and their parents) have got something right. There are no labels here. The parents aren't talking to their children about nannies/ maids/ servants. And so these girls struggled to put a name to the relationship they have with their nanny (excuse the label). I love her response "she is my Veronica". Reminding us that even when someone works for your family primarily they are still "Veronica".

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean.Years ago I had a lady helping me with my housework. She always remembers to this day my teenage son coming home from school with some of his friends one day and seeing her in the kitchen saying to them, " this is Anne". She always recounts this proudly saying "To him I wasn't 'the cleaner' (her words), I was Anne".

    ReplyDelete