Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Monday 11 February 2013

Abandoning a baby...

Yesterday my parents found an abandoned baby. She was wrapped in a big blanket. And was little- only a few days old (the cord and placenta were still attached). My mom phoned me to bring some formula and baby clothes. I fed this tiny little baby and we changed her, while the police took statements and filled in paper work and then the paramedics arrived. they checked she was ok and then took her to hospital. My mom, the police and paramedics decided she should be called Emmarentia (because that's where my parents live!) Emma for short :).

The whole experience has been quite an eye opener. A couple of things have been playing over and over in my mind:

I am obviously sad for little Emma and i am praying for her. For wisdom for the people making decisions on her behalf and for her future. But i feel such sadness and devastation for that mom.
Wrapped in the blanket with Emma was a bottle of milk and mom had tried to fashion a nappy out of some cloth. i think she must have tried to care for her (she was a few days old) but couldnt... I am not condoning leaving your baby in a park but i cant imagine being that desperate that that is the only decision you can think of. Or having no one you could turn to in that situation. this poor woman must have felt so alone. Just thinking about it amkes me want to cry (again!)

What has also been interesting is peoples reactions... on the whole i have found that people who have had their own kids can grasp how incredibly desperate this woman must have been to leave her baby. Giving birth and being a mom has made me realise how hard it must be to give up your child... Maybe she felt that that was the best she could do for little Emma... I cant presume to know her heart or motivation but i pray that God comforts her.

I am so aware of how privileged i am. i had great antenatal and postnatal care. I have an incredible, supportive family and wonderful group of friends who are also like family and i am in a church community that would help me if i needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment