Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Monday 25 February 2013

Fallen heroes...

I am probably not going to add anything new to what has already been said but thats the beauty of a blog... my space to write my thoughts :)
It feels a bit like some of my (sporting) heroes have come apart lately. Living in a cycling crazy family means i have been following the Lance Armstrong story closely. So First Lance...
And now Oscar Pistorius... Oscar was (is?) really someone i admire. And as an OT i have treasured his story of overcoming disability.  I love the fact he fought to run in mainstream events. And i love his blades!

I wont say a lot about this because there is loads to read on the subject... What i will say is that my heart is sad and sore. I guess in a completely selfish way i do feel disappointed but more so i feel for him and for the Steenkamp family and i have felt the story disheartening. I have also found peoples reactions to it disturbing. i read somewhere that it feels like people slowing down to look at an accident. That is what it feels like... I am not exempt, but i feel sickened by it.

The one opinion that i will strongly advocate here tho is that we need a gun free SA. Which ever version of events is true, it wouldn't have happened if he didn't have guns in his home.


No comments:

Post a Comment