Let's start a conversation...

"We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they have all learned to live together in the same box!"

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Things people say!

Last week i took Luc to the sister at Dischem to be weighed. He is now a hefty 7kg! No wonder i am exhausted by the end of the day.
As you arrive you sign in so that there can be no arguments about who is next in line. I was signing in and had my back to the other people (an elderly lady in a wheelchair and her son),  and i hear this lady say to her son- "Wasn't that a white lady? How does she have this child?"
The son was obviously embarrassed because later while his mother was seeing the sister he told me she is senile...

I'll be honest- i thought it was quite funny and was chuckling to myself as i signed in... but as i write what she said down i guess some people may be offended by the comment... People are quick to comment on what Luc looks like... My post about coffee coloured people
I actually dont mind the comments. Even the one by the senile granny at Dischem. I am just interested in why...Is it because he looks quite different from me? Most people ask tentatively "What nationality is his dad?" or something along those polite lines...

i am not sure really if i am trying to make a point here... but do we purely get so many comments because he is a very different colour from me or does everyone get this commentary on their children? I would love to hear!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, what an interesting question. I have a Russian friend who used to always say, "your son is SO gorgeous, he looks nothing like you or Justin". And even though his hair is exactly my colour she insists his is lighter...I think people just see what they want to see sometimes! One of my friend's daughter is the splitting image of her husband, not really a good look for a baby girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim and I both have dark hair and Savannah is very blonde. So we get asked where she comes from all the time. Quite frankly, we wonder ourselves sometimes as she is so organised, gets up early for no reason on her own (sets her own alarm), etc - very different from us. Genetics are so interesting and complex. Our offspring don't always look like us, which can be disconcerting for ourselves and outside observers. Luc's colour is perfect, just like you wanted :)
    I think it's helpful if our kids are different from us: it helps us to remember that we are guides, that we don't own our children, that they are distinctive human beings that will grow to make their own decisions and face their own consequences.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments...
    So true Gina- it is just what i ordered! I love what you said about our kids being different from us. Very very cool way of thinking about our kids...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ethan is a big boy - at birth 4.11kgs he picked up weight rapidly that at 3 months he was double his birth weight ( yip over 8 kg's). He's a nce big healthy beautiful boy, luckily he's slowed down picking up weight - he's now 6 months and just over 10kgs. I frequently get the comments " is his dad a big guy?" which my answer is - 'no' and then the comment, where does he come from then? Also he still has his big beautiful blue eyes, I have hazel colored eyes and Steven brown ( I do remember from biology that blue is the recessive gene so it is possible that Ethan will have blue eyes) but it is another feature people comment about. So I guess people comment on what is most obvious - and I guess sometimes to make conversation. I have noticed that more people do just want to chat and interact with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big boy... Luc isnt even 8kg yet. We get the opposite comments- he is little for his age!
    I like what you said Sonja about that people just want to chat and interact with him. You are so right. Babies bring out the best in people and i think people want to chat to you and/ or them and so they do say some interesting things!

    ReplyDelete